Thursday, November 24, 2011

Talking about writing and illustrating with Quinlan Lee of Adams Literary on my right and Katie Wools, Illustrator Coordinator for MoSCBWI.

The current dilemma is whether to continue a nonfiction manuscript, which gave me fits for months because I kept writing like a  professor.  Translation:  BORING.   My critique group spoke more kindly than that, but that's the gist of the thing.  Or, I can fictionalize the story as suggested by Heather Alexander of Dial Books for Young Readers.

When I experiment with fictionalizing the story, the dialog flows.  It is fun to write.  The story arc remains the same but with much more action and more about the characters.  All I need is to keep the language appropriate for today's YA audience.  That's all.

Easy, right? 

No comments: